Mali: The Boulkessi and Mondoro attacks perpetrators are now known 

Last week two military bases in central Mali suffered violent attacks. On Tuesday, Al Qaeda’s West African subsidiary claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement reported by Reuters.

Nearly 40 Malian soldiers died in what can be called one of the most violent and deadly attacks in the country this year. Dozens more were reported missing in attacks on the Boulkessi and Mondoro bases. According to Reuters, these attacks give an idea of the firepower of jihadist groups operating in central Mali. These groups seem never to be disturbed despite the presence of the French army and other international forces in the region.

From their stronghold in Mali, groups linked to al-Qaida and the Islamic state have been able to deploy across the Sahel, destabilizing regions of Niger and Burkina Faso, Reuters points out. In a statement published by the Site Intelligence Group, the Jihadist group Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin claimed responsibility for the attacks and reported that it abducted two soldiers, including a colonel in charge of the Boulkessi base, and seized, inter alia, five vehicles and 76 devices, firearms, two mortar shells and ammunition.

Controversial report

The group also increased the initial toll reported by the Malian government, which is 38 soldiers killed. Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin reported killing at least 85 soldiers in the attacks. However, Malian government spokesman Yaya Sangaré described the statement as “propaganda”, reiterated the army’s official record and denied the colonel’s kidnapping, Reuters said. Referring to the lost equipment, he said: “We have recovered items, we continue to collect them little by little.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

In The News Feed

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More